Migrating from Aura Professional to Aura Enterprise is an exciting step with many benefits, such as:
- 99.95% uptime SLA
- 24x7 support
- Single-tenant with VPC isolation, dedicated cloud infrastructure
- Available on GCP and AWS
- Hourly back-ups with 90 days of retention
- Instance size 4 GB - 256 GB
- More Details here: https://neo4j.com/docs/aura/current/
This brief guide describes the steps to follow to ensure a successful Aura Instance migration from Neo4j Aura Professional to Aura Enterprise, outlining the steps to follow and explaining who performs those steps.
Before You Begin
Before you begin, it is important to do preparation beforehand:
In the console (Activities on Aura Professional):
- Download snapshot/Dump locally (the daily automatic snapshot)
In the Aura Console, select the Aura Instance
Go to the Snapshots tab
Export the Dump file (preserve the .dump extension) and save it locally.
In the console (Activities on Aura Enterprise) :
- Create a new Aura Instance in Aura Enterprise with the right resource sizing.
- Upload via Console drag and drop (up to 4GB Dump file) or push-to-cloud
- From the Aura Console: Drag and drop
- Using the command line: neo4j-admin push-to-cloud
- Loading the Dump to your new enterprise environment can take some time, depending on the size of the data to load:
- Upload speed depends on your connection
- Full validation of the data is performed upon loading the Dump file, and Aura will meticulously review every detail before coming online.
Here is an outline of the migration process. In this example, we will use firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com as the accounts involved. firstname.lastname@example.org is the creator and owner of the Aura Instance called source-db in the Aura Professional tier, and email@example.com is the owner of target-db in the Aura Enterprise tier.
- Get accounts/emails (with no Aura Instance ownership in Aura Professional) invited to Aura Enterprise and validate access to the Aura Console.
Ask account firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm access to the Aura console and validate that the environment is an enterprise one.
- Use one of the invited accounts (email@example.com) to create a target Aura Instance in the Aura Enterprise environment.
Carefully select the right region and the right instance size (should be at least as large as the corresponding Aura Instance instance in Aura Professional).
Take note of the URI or Aura Instance id for target-db (as displayed in the aura console - https://console.neo4j.io - URI = neo4j+s://ZZZZZZZZ.databases.neo4j.io where ZZZZZZZZ is the Aura Instance id)
- At this point, firstname.lastname@example.org will load the Dump taken from the preparation and load it via push-to-cloud (or drag and drop if smaller than 4GB).
- When completed, please delete any Aura Instances (including the Free tier) that are owned by this user email@example.com.
- Now that there are no Aura Instances linked to this professional tier account, please raise a ticket to Neo4j Aura Support to request the migration of the Aura Professional account (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the Aura Enterprise tier.
Note that this request must be performed from the invited account (email@example.com).
Please sign in to leave a comment.