When you export a GDS (Graph Data Science) for import into AuraDS (Aura Data Science) you get a tar file instead of a dump file. What can you do with this tar file?
The dump file is located inside of the tar file when you download it, as you can see from the output of the tar command in the screenshot below. This command using tar tvf does not unarchive the file, although it allows you to look within it and see the contents.
To extract the files from the archive and get the dump file contained within, run the the following command as shown in the screenshot:
tar -xvf <tar file's name>
Once you have the dump file, you can import it to another Neo4j Aura database by using one of the following methods :
To import a .dump file under 4GB:
Navigate to the Neo4j Aura Console in your browser.
Select the instance you want to import the data.
Select the Import Database tab.
Drag and drop your .dump file into the provided window or select Select a .dump file and select your file.
For dump files larger than 4GB, depending upon whether you are using Neo4j Aura 4.x or 5.x :
- For 4.x see here: https://neo4j.com/docs/operations-manual/4.4/tools/neo4j-admin/push-to-cloud/
- For 5.x see here: Using 'neo4j-admin database upload' in Neo4j 5.x to load a database dump to Neo4j Aura (see further details here)
Important Note on compatibility between different source and destination versions of Neo4j:
Neo4j 5.x instances(Destination) are backwards compatible and can accept backups from Neo4j 4.x and Neoj 5.x (Source).
Neo4j 4.x instances(Destination) are not forward compatible.
- You can import backups from Neo4j 5.x and 4.x instances into a Neo4j 5.x instance.
- You can import backups from Neo4j 4.x instances into a Neo4j 4.x instance.
- You cannot import backups from Neo4j 5.x instances into 4.x.