Migrating from AuraDB Professional to AuraDB Enterprise is an exciting step with many benefits such as:
- 99.95% uptime SLA
- 24x7 support
- Single-tenant with VPC isolation, dedicated cloud infrastructure
- Available on GCP and AWS
- Hourly back-ups with 90 days retention
- Instance size 4 GB - 256 GB
- More Details here: https://neo4j.com/docs/aura/current/
This brief guide describes the steps to follow to ensure a successful AuraDB Instance migration from Neo4j AuraDB Professional to AuraDB Enterprise, outlining the steps to follow and explaining who performs those steps.
Before You Begin
Before you begin, it is important to do preparation beforehand:
In the console (Activities on Aura Professional):
- Download snapshot/Dump locally (the daily automatic snapshot)
In Aura Console https://console.neo4j.io/#databases select the AuraDB Instance
Go to the Snapshots tab
Export the Dump file (preserve the .dump extension) and save it locally.
In the console (Activities on Aura Enterprise) :
- Create a new AuraDB Instance in Aura Enterprise with the right resource sizing.
- Upload via Console drag and drop (up to 4GB Dump file) or push-to-cloud
- Loading the Dump to your new enterprise environment can take some time depending on the size of the data to load:
- Upload speed depends on your connection
- A full validation of the data is performed upon loading the Dump file and Aura will meticulously review every detail before coming online.
Here is an outline of the migration process. In this example, we will use email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org as the accounts involved. email@example.com is the creator and owner of the AuraDB Instance called source-db in the AuraDB Professional tier and firstname.lastname@example.org is the owner of target-db in the AuraDB Enterprise tier.
- Get accounts/emails (with no AuraDB Instance ownership in AuraDB Professional) invited to AuraDB Enterprise and validate access to the AuraDB Console.
Ask account email@example.com to confirm access to the AuraDB console and validate that the environment is an enterprise one.
- Use one of the invited accounts (firstname.lastname@example.org) to create a target AuraDB Instance in the AuraDB Enterprise environment.
Carefully select the right region and the right instance size (should be at least as large as the corresponding AuraDB Instance instance in AuraDB Professional).
Take note of the URI or AuraDB Instance id for target-db (as displayed in the aura console - https://console.neo4j.io - URI = neo4j+s://ZZZZZZZZ.databases.neo4j.io where ZZZZZZZZ is the AuraDB Instance id)
- At this point, email@example.com will load the Dump taken from the preparation and load it via push-to-cloud (or drag’n drop if smaller than 4GB).
- When completed, please delete any AuraDB Instances (including the Free tier) that are owned by this user firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Now that there are no AuraDB Instances linked to this professional tier account, please raise a ticket to Neo4j Aura Support to request the migration of the AuraDB Professional account (email@example.com) to the AuraDB Enterprise tier.
Note that this request must be performed from the invited account (firstname.lastname@example.org).