The Simba Neo4j BI Connector enables Business Intelligence (BI), analytics, and reporting on data. ODBC is one of the most established and widely supported APIs for connecting to and working with databases. The Simba Neo4j BI Connector supports connecting to Neo4j Aura. This is a comprehensive guide on connecting to Aura Database using Neo4j Simba ODBC on Windows.
Kindly use the instructions provided below:
Downloading the connector:
You can obtain the connector from Insightsoftware's website directly. This installation of the connector automatically includes dependencies.
Alternatively, you can also download the connector from Neo4j Downloads Page:
On the next page, fill in the required details to register and click the 'Download Neo4j BI Connector' Button:
Installing the connector:
A zip file will be downloaded. Please install using the file per your system configuration (32-bit or 64-bit)
Double click the .msi file and install the software.
Select the operation you want to perform and click Next to complete the installation process.
Creating a Data Source Name on Windows
After installing the Simba Neo4j BI Connector, you must create a Data Source Name (DSN).
- From the Start menu, go to ODBC Data Sources.
Note: Make sure to select the ODBC Data Source Administrator that has the same bitness as the client application that you are using to connect to Neo4j
- In the ODBC Data Source Administrator, click the Drivers tab, then scroll down as needed to confirm that it appears in the alphabetical list of ODBC connectors installed on your system.
- Choose one:
To create a DSN that only the user currently logged into Windows can use, click the User DSN tab.
Or, to create a DSN that all users who log into Windows can use, click the System DSN tab.
Note: It is recommended that you create a System DSN instead of a User DSN.
Some applications load the data using a different user account, and might not be able to detect User DSNs that are created under another user account.
- Click Add.
- In the Create New Data Source dialog box, select and then click Finish. The DSN Setup dialog box opens.
- In the Data Source Name field, type a name for your DSN.
- Configure the data source name by specifying values for the properties as indicated below. For the host, please use the format: <yourdbid>.databases.neo4j.io
- To configure the sampling process for the connector or logging behaviour for the connector, you can check Advanced Options and Logging Options.
- To test the connection, click Test. Review the results as needed, and then click OK.
Note: If the connection fails, verify that the settings in the Simba Neo4j ODBC Driver DSN Setup dialog box are correct.
- To save your settings and close the Simba Neo4j ODBC Driver DSN Setup dialog box, click OK.
- To close the ODBC Data Source Administrator, click OK.
- Now, you can download and install Power BI.
- Open Power BI, click on Get data from other source
- Click Other and choose ODBC.
- A dialogue box will appear. Select Simba Neo4j and click OK.
- After clicking OK, you will be connected to your Aura database and will be able to load and transform data from the Aura instance's database using Neo4j Simba Connector: